This episode Bob and I talked about one of the most exciting new opportunities in pharmacist led clinical services: pharmacogenomic testing.
Pharmacogenomics is a dynamic industry that pharmacists are well-positioned to inherit.
Some key takeaways from our discussion:
- Why PGx has failed in the community pharmacy and in acute care settings in the past
- Moving away from the traditional third party billing model
- How developing genetic tests will become the model for comprehensive Pharmacogenetic detection and informed treatment
- How limiting scope of testing alleviates prescriber hesitation due to liability issues
- How can pharmacists act as the gatekeepers for the patient’s comprehensive report
- Using pre-emptive genotyping to reduce trial and error prescribing
- How PGx testing allows Pharmacogenetic and the therapeutic considerations that can improve treatment outcomes and quality of life
- Enhancing the safety and effectiveness of anticoagulation drugs