The Academy Forum

Introduction to the Academy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Blair Thielemier 6 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lacyturman28
    Participant

Hi everyone, my name is Lacy Turman and I am new to the Academy. I currently work from home for the Central Pharmacy Operations of a large retail chain. It is a unique position that I have been doing for 5 years now. I love the convenience of working from home but the work schedules have been getting worse each year and I am tired of having handle times be the main focus over quality of work and patient care. My husband and I are looking to start a family soon and as many of you know, retail is all about those numbers and less about quality of life. I am moving this summer to a smaller community near San Antonio, Texas and I decided that a small town community (like where I grew up) would provide a great opportunity to branch out and look for a new career path. I worked in an independent pharmacy in Austin during college and loved it and it has always been my dream to go back to that type of environment. My goal is to start with MTM consulting for local independents as well as to set up several collaborative practice agreements in my new town and eventually branch out into the surrounding rural communities. I am also interested in adding on nutritional services, as well as, immunization services once I get established. I am currently in the beginning research stages of starting my consulting business since reaching out to pharmacies and physicians is a little difficult until we actually move.

I have done some MTM with Outcomes/Mirixa while I worked in the retail store, but since I have been away from direct patient care for the past 5 years I am currently doing the PowerPak CE MTM course to refresh my clinical skills. I have a friend from pharmacy school who owns an independent pharmacy in the area and I am thinking about offering a few MTM services for free to get my feet wet and to build more confidence. How far out in advance should I start to work on building my contacts and what is the best way to evaluate the need for MTM in my area? I am also curious as to what type of physician establishments I should focus on marketing myself towards for collaborative practice agreements (clinics, specific types of independent practice, etc).

I look forward to learning more from the e-courses and as I progress I’m sure I will have many more questions! Thanks!

Lacy

lacyturman28
    Participant

A few more questions: What steps would I need to take to keep patient information on my home computer safe? Is there a type of encryption software that I would need to use to comply with HIPAA? Thanks!

EPosey
    Participant

On one of my rotations, I think we used Citrix Workspace to keep information safe when working from home on our phones or laptops.

Blair Thielemier
    Keymaster

Hi Lacy!

I’m working on the PowerPak MTM CE too. I always want to go through the trainings myself before I recommend them to others.

1. The best time to start building your relationships and contacts is RIGHT NOW! It would be as simple as calling local community pharmacies in the place you’re moving right now to ask them about their MTM programs. You could tell them a bit more about yourself and why you’re passionate about MTM consulting. Then when you actually do move, you can go see them in person! This would also give you a chance to get a feel for the local providers.

2. For physician clinics you can wait until you actually move there so you can schedule in person appointments based on recommendations from the other contacts you’ve made. Small, physician owned clinics are perfect for this type of model, but I’ve also seen it work at FQHCs and ones affiliated with larger health systems IF you can get in to see the real decision makers.

3. As far as encryption it depends what type of platform you’re using. The OutcomesMTM and Mirixa platforms are designed to be used on any computer as long as the internet is secure and password protected. EHRs for a clinic may have different requirements, but many people are just using HIPPA-compliant Google docs and spreadsheets to track patient minutes for CCM.

Blair Thielemier
    Keymaster

Great idea Erin, thanks for sharing. To use that one I believe you have to be signed up (and paying) Citrix client.

Here’s a blog post that points to a couple free encryption softwares depending on if you use MAC or PC.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.